Feeding the little one in the house is a very rewarding experience for all moms and dads. However, sometimes the baby does not want to eat and his feeding can turn into a headache.The reasons why a baby rejects food can be very diverse. In this article, we tell you what they are and we give you a series of tricks to increase your appetite. My baby does not want to eat, what do I do? When a baby comes into the family it is very important to know the nutritional needs of each stage of development. Thus, we can know how much food you need to eat. It is also important to know the feeding guidelines of our little ones since these are different in each baby.Despite this, a baby may refuse food because there is a problem. Therefore, it is essential to identify and correct the causes.
IS IT NORMAL TO REFUSE FOOD?
Lack of appetite is one of the main reasons moms go to the pediatrician. Around 25% of children have some difficulty when it comes to eating. Therefore, the rejection of food in babies is considered normal, especially in children between 1 and 4 years old.However, when the baby consistently refuses food, there may be a serious problem. Therefore, it is very important to see a pediatrician.
WHY DOESN’T THE BABY WANT TO EAT?
A baby can reject food for various reasons. Most of the time, there is no pathology, but it is due to environmental and psychological factors. This means that babies do not usually reject the food, but rather the conditions in which they are fed.Main reasons why the baby rejects foodThe main reasons why a baby does not want to eat are the following:
● YOU DON’T NEED MORE: babies can adjust their feeding to their energy needs. When these needs are met, it is normal that the baby does not want to eat more.
● IT IS IN A SLOW STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT: around 2 years of age, babies begin to develop more slowly, need less energy, and tend to reduce their food intake.
● IMPROPER FEEDING TECHNIQUE: Some factors can make the baby not hungry when it is time to eat. For example, you have eaten between meals, that there are many distractions or that the schedules are very rigid.
● STRESS DURING MEALS: Many parents get nervous when a baby refuses food. Therefore, they force him to eat, they distract him, get angry, etc. As a consequence, the baby associates the food with a bad experience.
● REJECTION OF NEW FOODS: it can occur when a complementary diet is introduced to breast milk.
● DRUGS: Some medicines can cause loss of hunger in babies.
● ILLNESS: lack of appetite may appear as a symptom of illness. In this case, we can detect it because the baby has other symptoms and stops gaining weight.
WHAT IS ANOREXIA IN BABIES?
Anorexia in young children is the decrease or loss of desire to eat. As long as it is not due to illness, it is not serious. However, if it lasts for a long time, it can lead to eating disorders. Therefore, we must consult with our pediatrician.
TRICKS TO BETTER ACCEPT FOOD
When a baby does not want to eat, we mustn’t show ourselves stressed or angry. On the contrary, we must strive to create a comfortable and pleasant climate. The baby must associate food with a satisfying moment. Therefore, we must not use blackmail or punishment and, of course, we must not force him to eat.To increase his appetite, it is very important to avoid feeding him between meals and having distractions at mealtime (television, etc.). Also, we can try to present the food attractively and start to diversify it, although only after 6 months.Finally, it is important to encourage the baby to learn to eat alone. This process begins when you can grasp the bottle, food, or utensils by yourself. From this moment on, we must let you experiment, which will generate great satisfaction.
HOW DO I KNOW IF IT IS FULL OR HUNGRY?
As we already explained, babies only eat when they need to, so feeding on demand is essential. This means that he or she will ask us for food when they are hungry, so we must learn to recognize their gestures. Later, he will feed until he is satisfied, always establishing a daily routine in terms of schedules.When the baby is full, he will stop eating and we must respect his decision. This process is very important for you to associate food with ending hunger. This way, you will not reject it later.